Sun, 23 Sep 2018 by Steve Klein
It’s officially autumn and time to get homes in Georgetown TX ready for cooler weather. Here are some projects you should do now to keep your home functioning smoothly and looking great. If you aren’t handy, it’s well worth hiring a professional to get these tasks done before winter.
- Have the furnace serviced by a professional. They’ll make sure everything is working properly to keep your family safe and warm in the coming months. Change the furnace filter if that’s not included in their service.
- If you have a fireplace or woodburner, have the chimney cleaned and the firebox checked for safety issues. It’s important to make sure there are no leaks or cracks that could let carbon monoxide seep into your home. A chimney sweep will remove soot buildups that could cause fires in the chimney.
- Put fresh batteries in all smoke and CO detectors. Fires and carbon monoxide poisoning are more common after heating season begins. Test all smoke and CO detectors monthly.
- Take care of any exterior painting or staining before winter sets in. Do these chores during a period of moderate temperatures and dry weather for best results.
- Check gutters. Clean out debris and make sure water drains toward downspouts. Be sure drainage from downspouts doesn’t run into your foundation. Make any needed repairs or replacements.
- Drain and shut off outdoor faucets. This is especially important in areas where winter temperatures fall below freezing. Empty and bring in hoses. Blow air out of irrigation lines as needed.
- Bring in outdoor furniture, accessories and toys. You may want to clean and touch up finishes before storing these items.
- Bring in non-hardy potted plants and any houseplants you’ve been keeping outside. Dig up tender bulbs and store them in peat moss in the basement or garage. Don’t leave them in an area that gets below freezing.
- Repair cracks or defects in sidewalks, driveways and retaining walls before frost heave makes them worse.
Are you looking for a brand-new home that’s easy to maintain? Call Steve Klein Custom Builder at 512-844-6813 today to tour new homes in Georgetown TX.