So you just got engaged and you’re ready to start looking for new homes in Victoria TX. You’re excited to settle down and start your new lives together, but there are some things you need to consider first. Buying a home is a big step and you want to do it right.
What steps should you take to make your dream home a reality?
- Make individual lists of must-haves and nice-to-haves. Then sit down together with a glass of coffee or wine and talk about what you both want in your home. Give priority to each person’s must-haves and be willing to let go of some nice-to-haves. It might take a little negotiating with your future spouse to decide on features that will make both of you happy.
- Decide where you want to live. Are your careers or education taking you to a new city? Would you like to stay close to family? Do you love the weather or recreational opportunities in a particular area? Do you want to live in a good school district for the benefit of your current or future children?
- Take into account how many bedrooms you’ll need. This depends in part on how many children will be part of your family, whether you need a home office or how often you host out of town guests.
- Set your budget. Consult a lender to find out how much house you can comfortably afford and stick to that amount. A standard guideline is that your house payment shouldn’t exceed 25% of your monthly take-home pay.
- Let go of the idea of a “perfect” home or a “forever” home. Lives change unexpectedly and no home is perfect. Have realistic expectations.
- Wait until you are married to make the actual purchase. It’s legally and financially safer. Unmarried couples planning to buy a house together should consult an attorney first.
- Consider a new home. You can have it built to your specifications in a neighborhood with amenities not found in older areas. Steve Klein Custom Builder can build your new home in the Terravista or Escalera Ranch communities in Victoria TX.
Start your home buying process today with Steve Klein Custom Builder. Call 361-572-4101 to learn how you can own one of our new homes in Victoria TX.